Skip to main content

Ego

E·go ˈēɡō/
noun
a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.
"a boost to my ego"
self-esteem, self-importance, self-worth, self-respect, self-image, self-confidence
"the defeat was a bruise to his ego"

It's easy to say check it at the door, but like shrimping, it ain't easy. (“Shrimpin’ ain’t easy.”)

Ego gets in the way of jiujiitsu in lots of ways.  One way is in feeling like you have to win, all the time.  When you are tapping someone out ego prevents you from developing weaker parts of your game because you are afraid to lose.  Ego also keeps your partners from developing their game because every roll becomes a competition and not training.

Ego makes you want to defeat people you may not be able to due to size, skill level, age, or other factors.  You may mentally defeat yourself with negative feedback based on your own ego. 

Ego can also make you feel like you deserve something you don't, such as belt promotion.  No one deserves a promotion (though I do believe people who have earned it deserve the right to test for promotion.) People come to expect promotion due to having attained skill, time on the mat, etc.  It's up to the professor's judgement on when someone is to be promoted. No one deserves a promotion for any reason. You pay for lessons and training, not for promotion.  Dealing with the ego sometimes can be the lesson of The Wait.

This is a lesson I am learning right now. To free myself from ego and expectations of reward and live in the jiujitsu moment.  Learning, playing, practicing for the love of jiujitsu and learning it’s way, rather than being bothered with the attachment of the ego and desire for the belt. 

I had to remind myself that a professor doesn’t owe a student anything but lessons and training.  They do not owe you a belt.  A belt is just a visual representation of skill and whatever other subjective things a professor looks for.  But it is not owed to you, regardless. 

So I have to let my ego go so that I can be free from it, and therefore free from its trappings.  Just play jiujitsu for jiujitsu sake.  Leave your ego at the door.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gracie Combatives: Jiujitsu Evolved...for Beginners

The Gracie Academy has been able to reach out and gain influence in the jiujitsu community effectively acquiring schools through a de-facto affiliation.  The attraction has been through marketing their teaching methods via Gracie University, using that as a tool to gain and retain students and to grow your school and profits.  The gateway is Gracie Combatives (GC).  I recently completely and passed the GC online test, scoring high enough to qualify to attend the instructor certification course held at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA.  Currently a brown belt with over ten years jiujitsu experience I found the program surprisingly challenging and effective as a tool for teaching good self-defense techniques and providing an organized baseline by which to engage and measure my progress.  The good, the bad and the..the "it's up to you": The Good: There is an organized curriculum with highly detailed instruction on the philosophy of the training et...

The Path to the Black Belt

The Path to the Black Belt I came into jiujitsu with the purpose of 1) learning self-defense and 2) getting a black belt to affirm my proficiency and so that I can certify my children's technique and award them with belts as they earn them.  The path isn't as simple as I thought it would be.  I thought I would have to learn techniques and at some point have to demonstrate those techniques to be awarded a belt.  When I first started I found out that time limits and promotions were subjective and completely up to your coach/instructor.  I didn't care for this approach.  There was no set curriculum or time limits.  It was very general.  Basically one should be submitting 90% of people at their current belt level before being considered for promotion.  That was about it.  If you "looked" like you were ready for a stripe, you got a stripe.  4 stripes and then when you "looked like" you were ready for the next belt it was handed to yo...

Position for Submission

I remember watching the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and watching Royce Gracie submit all challengers with his chokes and arm-bars.....it was like magic at the time. Years later when I first started Brazilian Jiujitsu (BJJ) I just wanted to put on the chokes that I'd learned in the Marine Corps and the arm-bars I was learning in class but I was finding that they were far easier to execute on a static partner than during sparring (rolling, randori). I found myself getting lucky here and there, but more and more often not even going for arm-bars because I'd end up getting reversed and submitted myself, or getting frustrated that I wasn't even getting a chance to try out my techniques because I was busy defending myself from them, especially from the more advanced students. It was like being a rag doll for months on end. That's no fun at all, and if it isn't fun, then why go to practice? The submissions are one of the more exciting things about practic...