Skip to main content

The Quality Spread Training Method

Typically in Brazilian jiujitsu (BJJ) classes an instructor or senior student will teach 3 or 4 techniques and the students then practice them. They might be related or combinations, and they might not. One thing that happened to me as a beginner student is that I was overwhelmed with techniques and I still didn’t have a handle on the basics, much less the ability to add tools to my game. For a while I was frustrated because I couldn’t learn it all fast enough, and thought that maybe I was just a slow learner, until I realized two things: (1) the other new students with less than 6 months experience in BJJ were having the same issue, and (2) the blue belts with few or no stripes had really good basics, but rarely used the fancier, seemingly complicated techniques that were often taught in class.

When I came to that realization I decided to come up with a methodology for my own training so that I was improving on my basics while still learning new techniques, but without overwhelming myself. I called this method ­­­­the Quality Spread Training Method.

Quality Spread Training Method:

Work on just a few aspects of your game at a time for about two months or so before learning new stuff. A submission, a sweep, and a guard pass, for example. I have three levels of proficiency in my mind, which gives me basically 9 techniques that I work (3 X 3). Once the two months (or so) have passed, the techniques I am most proficient in get rotated out of the game temporarily, the moderate techniques get promoted to high, and the newest techniques get promoted to moderate. Then I have room to add three new ones....a submission, a sweep, and a guard pass. Maybe they are new techniques entirely, or maybe something that I rotated out as being something I am proficient in that I want to bring back for review and to increase proficiency.

For the sake of simplicity in training I figured that there are really about a dozen BJJ techniques altogether on the ground. Proficiency comes in phases. First, learning the technique. Second, applying it while sparring (rolling, randori). Finally, coming back to it, relearning more aspects of it and doing it all over again. BJJ proficiency, I am finding, comes in inches here and there and perfecting those dozen techniques and using them in combinations and variations, not necessarily in learning new stuff all the time.

The Quality Spread Training Method has helped me to improve my basics while learning new exciting techniques for the last two years. It has also nearly eliminated my frustration in learning new techniques and made my BJJ more fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gracie Combatives: Jiujitsu Evolved...for Beginners

The Gracie Academy has been able to reach out and gain influence in the jiujitsu community effectively acquiring schools through a de-facto affiliation.  The attraction has been through marketing their teaching methods via Gracie University, using that as a tool to gain and retain students and to grow your school and profits.  The gateway is Gracie Combatives (GC).  I recently completely and passed the GC online test, scoring high enough to qualify to attend the instructor certification course held at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA.  Currently a brown belt with over ten years jiujitsu experience I found the program surprisingly challenging and effective as a tool for teaching good self-defense techniques and providing an organized baseline by which to engage and measure my progress.  The good, the bad and the..the "it's up to you": The Good: There is an organized curriculum with highly detailed instruction on the philosophy of the training et...

The Path to the Black Belt

The Path to the Black Belt I came into jiujitsu with the purpose of 1) learning self-defense and 2) getting a black belt to affirm my proficiency and so that I can certify my children's technique and award them with belts as they earn them.  The path isn't as simple as I thought it would be.  I thought I would have to learn techniques and at some point have to demonstrate those techniques to be awarded a belt.  When I first started I found out that time limits and promotions were subjective and completely up to your coach/instructor.  I didn't care for this approach.  There was no set curriculum or time limits.  It was very general.  Basically one should be submitting 90% of people at their current belt level before being considered for promotion.  That was about it.  If you "looked" like you were ready for a stripe, you got a stripe.  4 stripes and then when you "looked like" you were ready for the next belt it was handed to yo...

Position for Submission

I remember watching the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and watching Royce Gracie submit all challengers with his chokes and arm-bars.....it was like magic at the time. Years later when I first started Brazilian Jiujitsu (BJJ) I just wanted to put on the chokes that I'd learned in the Marine Corps and the arm-bars I was learning in class but I was finding that they were far easier to execute on a static partner than during sparring (rolling, randori). I found myself getting lucky here and there, but more and more often not even going for arm-bars because I'd end up getting reversed and submitted myself, or getting frustrated that I wasn't even getting a chance to try out my techniques because I was busy defending myself from them, especially from the more advanced students. It was like being a rag doll for months on end. That's no fun at all, and if it isn't fun, then why go to practice? The submissions are one of the more exciting things about practic...